When attempting to achieve the goals we set out to accomplish, including weight loss – it often eludes us that our mindset is responsible for our success, or lack thereof. Everything we want to achieve begins with the power of thought, and we need to understand that our types of thoughts are extremely important. Building a mindset that is supportive for weight loss is actually something very few people really understand. This article will share the very steps necessary to help you build a strong and supportive frame of mind, which will support a strong and supportive body, which will much more easily melt away those excess pounds. If you continue to focus on these steps and maintain a more positive mindset, you will be well on your way to achieve any goal you desire.
Life is meant to be fun, even when you’re on a weight loss plan! Use these tips to help you ‘switch’ your ways of thinking, and you will be able to sustain your new health, happiness, and body much easier!
PRINCIPLES OF MINDSET
I’ve been asking people for over a decade now and it’s clear that everyone wants to keep their body in an ideal weight and live a healthier life. The challenge for many is how to achieve that goal, and even more importantly, how to maintain it? For this, you need to understand that it takes more than having an awesome meal plan and killer exercise routine – but that it takes the right frame of mind.
In order to get there:
First, you need to have a strong purpose for weight loss, meaning that you need to know exactly why you want to lose weight – to a very deep and meaningful level. This purpose for weight loss is going to be the fuel that keeps you going when it’s not as fun and may even be very challenging.
Second, you need to set your goals. And don’t forget to set a time frame for those goals. E.g. I want to lose 10 pounds in the next 30-days. With the clear goal and time frame, you will be clear on your “why” and now only have to focus on the “how” which is way easier 🙂 especially if you have a plan. I always suggest writing down your goals on pieces of papers and stick them everywhere in your house, work, car… where ever you may need that reminder. This can be so helpful in maintaining the focus you will need to achieve the things you want.
Third, plan a strategy for your weight loss plan. If you aren’t working with me, you can take massive action to research different weight loss strategies such as effective exercise routines, diet and detox information, etc. (I usually have extremely detailed plans – if we haven’t been working together in a while). Then, all you have to do is stick to the plan and be certain that you will achieve your goal. Whenever you feel like giving up, always refer back to your strong purpose.
Forth, when you successfully achieve your goal, don’t forget that you now have to maintain the lifestyle you created… it usually doesn’t have to be as strict, but you cannot revert to the lifestyle that you had before, which makes sense, right?
7 Tips for a Healthy Mindset
Although making an amazing and lasting transformation is not easy, it is very possible. I’ve been highlighting them for the past 11 years now and have worked with possibly many of you in achieving your own – to some degree. Perhaps you have even been trying on your own and it’s not quite coming together and it could be because several things have got to align. Of course, you know how I feel about nutrition 🙂 and designing an effective exercise routine is right behind that. That your hormones are playing nice is important too, but this isn’t about any of those… and I’ve got to say that without the right MINDSET, everything else is really unimportant. This is the purpose of the article, to help you identify thought patterns that may be holding you back and provide you with tools that will give you a better chance to succeed.
You can get rid of even the most stubborn pounds when you use these tips to build a supportive mindset for weight loss.
- Uncover what you truly want to achieve. We are bombarded with weight loss advice and told what to believe is ideal but you have to discover what you truly want and what will make you happy. Would you be happy only if you were a size 2 woman or had a 28-inch waist as a man? Or would you be content just being considered in the “normal range”? Only by clearly defining your goal will you be more likely to hit it. I really like the saying “If you don’t know where you’re going, you’ll arrive somewhere else“.
- Commit to one difference maker. Commit to doing one thing no matter what. For instance, commit to keeping a daily food journal or exercising 5 days a week and then get it done no matter what. This way when life “happens” and you know it will – if you lose focus you can get back on track so much easier when this one thing has stayed consistent.
- Know you are worth it. Do not hesitate for even a second with the thought that you don’t deserve to live healthy and happy. If you have had people in your life who told or convinced you that you will always be i.e. overweight then know that this was only their words and it really has no actual effect on you.
- Shift your attitude. NEVER think of weight loss as something you do to yourself as a punishment for gaining weight. Instead, see it as something you do for yourself – so that you can be healthy and look & feel great. This small shift can be the difference between having an excuse and reverting back to old ways or sticking with your healthy habits when the next quitting opportunity arises.
- Surround yourself with positive thoughts and people. To reiterate, a positive mindset is essential to moving forward and accomplishing your weight loss goals. Use creative visualization or positive affirmations, for example, to help you shift your mindset to focus on the positive. You also want to be mindful of who you surround yourself with as this will impact your energy and how you think.
- In addition, love yourself and be gentle! You are human, so if you’re having a bad day or happen to be a bit off track with your goals, it’s OK. Love yourself, accept your humanness, and get back on track with a hug and gentle nudge.
- Be certain on why you want to lose weight. It’s very important that you’re very clear as to why you want to lose weight. If you’re doing it for someone else, then you’re most likely doing it for the wrong reasons. You should always remember that you’re the most important person in your life, and in order to focus on you and your goals, it’s essential that you realize this. Plus, when you’re losing weight for someone else, you’re putting yourself in a position of possible disappointment because of how the other individual will respond, and if it’s not positive or how you expected and played it out in your mind, it can put a damper on your overall success.
When we don’t meet goals, it often puts us in a negative mode of thinking and we beat ourselves up. So set realistic and reachable goals, and be sure to credit yourself every time you meet even the slightest goal! …just not with food 🙂 AND, if you do happen to miss a goal, again, be gentle on yourself, love yourself, and simply nudge yourself to get back on track to continue to strive to meet your goals (because at some point, you will!) – another saying I like is “Direction is so much more important than speed. A lot of people are going nowhere fast.”
Building a supportive mindset for Weight Loss
The first thing to remember when attempting to lose weight is: Losing weight takes time and patience. If you are looking for a miracle weight loss cure, not only are you probably not going to find it, you also are probably not really serious about losing weight. 🙂 There is no miracle weight loss method out there – otherwise we would all know about it by now. So remember – no miracles! By keeping in mind that no magical powers, powders, pills, or pixie dust will shed those pounds for you, you will be forced to rely on yourself, which is a good thing.
Losing weight takes time and patience because there is a lot of energy stored in the excess pounds you carry. It is actually important to take time in losing weight so that your body doesn’t undergo drastic and traumatic changes, and you can adjust to the gradual changes and the lifestyle involved in shedding those excess pounds. In order to burn body fat, your body performs numerous processes and many of them actually release toxins into your body, so there can even be adverse health effects involved in losing weight too quickly.
Secondly, be consistent and take it day by day. Start with something you can handle – for example, maybe it is decreasing your caloric intake by a few hundred calories, and going for a short walk. Finish that one day, and credit yourself for that success, even though it may just be one small step. Repeat. As you go, you will find that eating fewer calories not only becomes a habit but even feels more natural, and as your tolerance for exercise increases, and you may find yourself starting to enjoy having more energy. Trust yourself to make changes as you can handle them and as they feel right to you. The diet industry would like you to think you will only find success through rules and strict discipline, but in reality you have to learn to trust yourself as well as the experts to lose weight and keep it off.
Also, taking things one step at a time involves not worrying too much about the future outcome or goal. You know already that you would like to reach a certain weight, but fixating too much on that goal runs the risk of feeling that where you are isn’t good enough, and produces anxiety about failure or success. Losing weight is a challenge, so take that challenge on day by day so it doesn’t become too overwhelming. You will get there in good time if you stay consistent.
Finally, a healthy mindset towards weight loss involves patience, consistency, and a caring attitude towards yourself that won’t punish you for not being perfect every day. Avoid the temptation to criticize yourself. There may be some days where you may eat more than you would like to, or skip out on exercising. If this happens, all is not lost! Just gently guide yourself back on track, and if you can make up for it the next day or just put it behind you and get back to the challenge. It is too easy to be hard on yourself, and doing so increases the chance you will decide this whole weight loss thing is too much for you to handle, which it isn’t.
Keeping this advice in mind, whichever diet or exercise you adopt to help you lose weight will have a greater chance of helping you succeed.
If you would like our professional guidance, this is why THE MELTDOWN Transformation Studio exists. To help people understand what works, why it works and give them a place to make it work, for them. I love helping people succeed, and sharing inspiring transformatons. So, if you would like to know more about any of our programs, use our contact sheet or go directly to the service you are interested in – and submit your request for more info.
Best success and I look forward to hearing from you soon!